Friday, April 30, 2010

The day arrived...

On Wednesday, April 28 I woke up dark and early. Donny wasn't able to get off of work early so my mom was taking me to the hospital where I had an appointment with induction.
 I wasn't concerned that Donny wouldn't be there right away...when I was induced with Noah they started me on pitocin and didn't break my water until after 10. This time was different! The nurse mid-wife broke my water at 7:45! I knew things would start moving and wondered where Donny was at that point. As if on cue he walked into the room and my mom was able to leave for work.
I am not a big complainer unless I am really in pain. And by 9 am let me tell you, I WAS HURTING!!!! My contractions were anywhere from 1-5 minutes apart and lasted from 45-90 seconds in length. My nurse came in and I told her I was ready for my epidural. The thing with epidurals is that you have to have so much fluid in you first...I hadn't even had 1/4 of the fluid I needed. She turned the pump on speed racer drip and the pushed the fluids fast. It took for what seemed like an eternity (like 20 minutes in reality but I wasn't living in reality I was in PAIN!) but the fluids finally had gone where they needed to be. They started my next bag and called the anesthesiologist to come on down. It took him almost 45 more minutes to get to me. By that time I was ready to die. I was trying to be strong and not cry...breathing like I had been taught, trying to focus on a distraction or move my body into a position that made it more tolerable but nothing helped. My nurse was being followed by a student nurse and she was WONDERFUL. She really tried to be a help to me through that.
I had about 5 contractions in the time it took the doctor to insert my epidural...have you ever had a pain so horrible that you literally can't be still while a guy was standing behind you inserting a needle into your back? Oh I felt so bad for him. He was very patient with me. And he is my hero :)
From that point on I thought things would get better but Mr. Colby wouldn't be still and the monitor kept losing his heart rate and it kept dipping. So they moved me to my left side and put  me on oxygen to try to stabilize his heart rate. The kid would not stop moving! After about 30 minutes of that, I moved to my right side and we never had another problem.
Once I reached 10cm my nurse checked me out and asked me to push so she could see exactly where Colby was. I pushed once and she told me not to do that again! She and the student nurse prepped my room and got things ready for my doctor and then called her in. As she walked in, me all exposed and ready, she asked me how I was and I told her READY!! She looked at "me" and said "Yes you are. I see his curls" and friends, for the 3 pushes that I gave in about 3-5 minutes he was here. All 9lbs. 8oz. of him!

This probably bored you enough for today. Maybe tomorrow I will tell you more :)

1 comment:

  1. You are so strong! You truly inspire me, more then you probably know. I'm so proud of you! You're a trooper! I love you, and baby Colby! :) Can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete